Ok, first off, puns are ALWAYS in fashion. Use them whenever and wherever possible.
Aside from that though, there are a handful of other trends that are going to be everywhere starting now. So, here’s your handy dandy list of what will carry you stylishly thru the season.
1. Camel – it’s the new black! Ok not really, because black is still major, but when is black not big for fall? But I digress. Camel is just a refreshingly new option for fall. It’s so sophisticated, so understated, and gorgeous on all skin tones. How to wear it? Head to toe!
2. Military – This trend has been around for several seasons, so if you’ve already invested in the military jacket or skinny cargo pants, bring them out again! Other key items that make up this trend or epaulet details, lace up or combat boots, utility bags and mixing tones of army green and gray.
3. Minimalism – After the crazy 80s and 90s having their moment in recent seasons, we’re entering a time where clean, sleek, simple lines are a welcome (and rather chic) change. Think less is more. Not less clothing – that’s definitely not where this trend is going. But rather less embellishment, less fuss. More classic pieces reinvented with a modern twist.
4. Lace – If you buy a LBD this season, make it a lace one. There are so many gorge’ ones to choose from. What is refreshing about lace this season is that it comes in so many variations, from super sexy to prim and proper, so it can really suit anyone’s style preference. Not feeling the lacey blouse or dresss? Go for a lace tight!
5. Animal Prints – a personal fave’, animal prints are great for accent pieces such as a cropped sleeve jacket, a clutch, flats or pumps. Plus the print is a perfect accent to all the other trends happening right now.
7. Red – Ok, even if you buy that lace LBD, you should also get yourself a red dress. This color is AMAZING with camel and also has a timeless retro sexy vibe when paired back to animal prints. But if you don’t want to invest in article of clothing, try a red lipstick. Just let an expert help you pick the correct shade for your skin tone, please! The wrong shade will make your teeth look like you’ve been brushing your teeth with coffee and red wine for years.
Tip: For fair skin, go for yellow/orange undertones. For darker skin, go for blue based reds.
8. Velvet – This is one of the ‘it’ fabrics this season, coming in luxe tones like deep blue, chardonnay, and forest green. And in a season where layers and textures are key, this is the perfect fabric to add more dimension and interest to your outfit in a really stylish, timeless way.
9. Capes – I have definitely had a friend or two laugh when I tell them capes are in right now, but seriously, if you try one, you’ll get it. They are so effortlessly chic. It’s the kind of piece that won’t want to take off when you get where you’re going, unlike your average bulky fall coat.
10. The Maxi – (Excuse the late addition! How could I forget the Maxi!) Think of the maxi as the new mini. I love this look paired with lots of cozy layers and tough, masculine boots. It’s a totally throwback to the 90s grunge look… except it’s a little less grunge and a lot more refined. If you’re a little petite thing, I’d say stear clear of heavy layers to avoid the whole drowning in fabric thing. Try pairing back to a tucked-in paper-thin tee, cinched waist and of chunky heel boots for added height instead.
All photos from Style.com